Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Wandering the Wet West (Chapter 1)

(09/11/15) After much debate regarding where to go this fall, Mrs. Sagebrush (aka The Bride) and I finally settled on taking the CDory to Lake Powell for the annual CBrat Get Together, known as a CBGT.

We got the boat ready,  loaded up the truck and found that our new truck required a different height hitch from the one we used with our older truck.   Luckily I had one, so a quick change and the boat, formally known as Constant Craving (as I always want another boat) was ready to go.   I think we should rename it to "The Arc, less animals".   Once again we have over packed, and Salty our Wire-haired Pointer was relegated to the Hound-dog Hilton.

We literally had no idea of which route we wanted to take until pulling out of the driveway, hitting the road, and being forced to choose.   Through Burns, or through Twin Falls??   The boss of me said "Twin Falls", so off we went.   Once on I-205, heading for I-84 east, we immediately hit stop and go traffic.   Typical for Portland these days.

Once heading east, and away from the city, travel was smoother.   We decided on a first night at Baker City.   There were a couple of really nice full curl bighorn rams along the freeway, but no place to pull over and watch or take photos.    Such magnificent animals.

We pulled into Baker City and stopped at an RV park.   With the Engel freezer going in the back of the truck, it was easier to pick places with power, and not have to run the generator to charge our extra battery.   I took a photo of the boat, and a text to the kids.   Daughter Kate immediately replied, "Where are you?  I am in Baker City, too!".   She was there with a group of Triumph motorcycle riders that she and her husband travel with.  What a surprise!   I still can't imagine that my petite little girl rides a motorcycle.



(09/12/15)  On Saturday morning, we were up early and heading for Ely, Nevada.   It was a bit longer drive than I wanted, but we planned on getting to Lake Powell by Sunday, then spending a couple of days in the Wahweap campground getting the boat ready to launch.   Last year, we tried to launch the same day we arrived, and in 100ยบ heat, it was just too much.    I also discovered that the wire antenna whip from my backup VHV had parted company with the boat.   Lesson learned, remove the wire whip before traveling!

The KOA in Ely is a familiar stopping place for us, whether with the CDory, or a dirt boat.   We got the freezer plugged in, then proceeded to relax after a long day on the road.  On our desert trip last year, we stopped here and discovered a pair of great horned owls working the trees.   This year was the same.

(09/13/15)  Again out early and on the road to Wahweap.   We stayed on the two lanes the entire trip. Down to Cedar City there was virtually no traffic.   One surprise was an XP camper heading in the opposite direction, the first one I have seen.   Out of Cedar City, it was white knuckle driving, dodging all the weekend campers coming back from Zion and Bryce.   The road is also quite steep (8%) and winding.   We'll pick another route home.

Through Kanab, and heading south on hwy 89, I hear an explosion behind me.   In the mirror was a Ford F150, with rubber going everywhere, and heading for the gravel.   He blew a left front tire.  I am thankful he wasn't passing us when it let go.  

We also went by a place that I have often wondered how it got its name...



We made it to Wahweap, got a campsite, and started a couple of slow days getting the boat ready to launch.  It's just too hot to move fast!!   A little last minute shopping in Page, AZ.   Since I lost my VHF antenna, I bought a new handheld radio to serve as my backup.   We are experiencing a little rain and thunderstorm activity.   Nice to have things a little cooler!!!

Looking across Wahweep Bay at the Castle...   We had three thunderstorms that afternoon.





No comments:

Post a Comment